KDE 4: the good, the bad and the broken

James Tyrer jrtyrer at earthlink.net
Fri May 7 11:01:43 BST 2010

On 05/03/10 17:36, James Tyrer wrote:

>>> I don't know how to reproduce this.  However, it happens
>>> occasionally and I don't know why it works most of the time and
>>> then screws up.

Well, it happened again and not with the same apparent cause.  Suddenly,
I realized that my toolbars in Konqueror had reconfigured themselves to
some defaults again.

How to fix this now seems clear to me.  Somehow the defaults are still
there after a user configures.  This needs to be changed so that the
defaults are handled in a way that they are not still accessible.

I did find that SystemSettings has added:

	Secondary toolbar text

I don't know if this is a real feature or if someone couldn't figure out
how to fix a bug and changed it to a feature.  But, it does fix the
problem with the text returning in the Konqueror Extra ToolBar.  But, it
should not be necessary to set the default if you set the Extra ToolBar
in Konqueror to use: "No Text".  It is hard to believe that KDE-4 is
still this Beta-like.  It is like a prototype where the appearance is
nice but the underlying code doesn't work correctly.

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch