KDE 4: trouble setting up two separate Xservers

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Wed May 5 23:27:31 BST 2010

Paul van Gerven posted on Wed, 05 May 2010 12:52:06 +0200 as excerpted:

> I have come to the same conclusion: KDE 4 cannot run two desktops, even
> when they are running on different X servers. Fortunately, I do not need
> two. So now I have set up two separate X screens on a single server and
> run Mythtv on the tv using the DISPLAY= command.

I was, I think, dreaming about this problem as I slept, today.  When I
woke up...

The thought occurred to me that plasma-desktop is but a single component
of kde4.

I actually kill plasma-desktop from time to time here, because it's still
lacking the panel fold-away buttons that kde3's kicker had, and while I
normally have an always-on-top system monitor panel (running several
yasp-scripted plasmoids, from kdelook) across the top of my top monitor,
and when I want to run something full-screen across both monitors
(full-screen mode doesn't work, that's only one monitor), it's easier to
killall plasma-desktop to get rid of that always-on-top panel, then restart
plasma-desktop when I'm done, than it is to change the panel settings.

Thus, when I woke up today, the thought occurred to me that if it's only
plasma-desktop that can't be run more than once, depending on the reason
one wants to run more than one instance of kde4 and whether both instances
actually have to have plasma-desktop running, it may well be possible to
run two kde4 sessions, but just run plasma-desktop in one of them.

The other could use some other desktop or at least launcher, krunner,
perhaps, if it's possible to run two of those each in separate sessions,
or run plasmoid-viewer with a launcher plasmoid (kickoff, lancelot, kmenu-
classic, whatever), or perhaps plasma-overlay, which is designed to run as
a screensaver, or just run a konsole window or something and launch stuff
from it.  Or use a non-kde desktop of some sort.

The point being, still run with kwin and etc, so it's a kde session, just
without plasma-desktop.

It may also be possible, I don't know, to run plasma-desktop in one
xsession, and plasma-netbook in another.  I'm not sure if those two can be
run concurrently or not.