KDE 4: trouble setting up two separate Xservers

Allistar allistar.m at gmail.com
Wed May 5 00:00:54 BST 2010

Paul van Gerven wrote:

> In Kubuntu Lucid Lynx (KDE SC 4.4), I have been trying to configure a two
> Xserver setup. One XServer uses my videocard, the other the tv-out of my
> Hauppauge 350 tv-card. I have been running this setup for a couple of
> years, both in Gnome and in KDE 3.x. This is my first attempt in KDE 4.
>
> I edited kdmrc as follows (see attachment):
> - StaticServers in [General] to :0,:1
> - ReserveServers in [General] to :2,:3,:4
> - commented out ServersArgsLocal in [X-*-Core]
> - added ServerArgsLocal=-br -nolisten tcp -layout seat0 to [X-:0-Core]
> - created a [X-:1-Core] and [X-:1-Core] with a similiar ServerArgsLocal
>
> seat0 and seat1 correspond to ServerLayout section in an xorg.conf (see
> attachment), which has done the job for years.
>
> Now, when booting, I get the KDM login screen on my tv, but my monitor
> remains a blank screen or shows some garbled graphics resembling the
> splash screen (note: I disabled the splash in Grub). Switching through VTs
> 7 to 9 doesn't show a KDM screen either.
>
> Both Xorg.0.log and Xorg.1.log show the two X servers have started
> succesfully, so apparently something goes wrong at the very last minute.
>
> I don't have the faintest clue what to do next, so any help would be
> appreciated.

>From what I understand, this is not possible with KDE4. This has something
to do with two separate instances of Plasma not being able to be run at the
same time.

FWIW, this is the one single issue that is holding me back from upgrade from
3.5.10 to 4.?. For me this issue is a show stopper as without it I cannot
see any way to run an accelerate triple head setup.

Suggestions I have seen are to run KDE4 on your laptop monitor and something
else (FWM? Enlightenment? KDE3.5?) on the TV card output. This should work.