[KMail] Default status filter for mail groups

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Tue Mar 30 03:21:12 BST 2010

Tassilo Horn posted on Mon, 29 Mar 2010 08:53:48 +0200 as excerpted:

> is there a way to set the status filter default value to "Unread" for
> certain folders?
>
> I read a bunch of high-traffic mailing lists that get split into
> individual folders on the server-side using sieve, and for those, I'm
> only interested in new/unread messages most of the time.

I don't see a way to set that, either per-folder or generally.  However,
the aggregation settings can be modified, such that only the groups and
threads with unread messages actually expand.

IDR what the default aggregation settings are/were, but I found them a bit
unsatisfactory and customized them, here, then made my customization the
default.  That seems to work relatively well, tho I can see how it'd still
not be the greatest for following lists.

However, I'm a long-time USENET user, and as such, prefer newsgroups to
lists.  As a result, I use gmane.org's (free) list2news service to follow
my mailing lists as newsgroups, thus eliminating them from my kmail inbox.
=:^)

(FWIW, I use the gtk based pan as my newsclient, as years ago, knode
wasn't satisfactory to me for some reason or another.  So how kde's knode
works these days I don't know, but you're welcome to try pan, and if
you've any questions, post them to the pan user list, which happens to be
carried on gmane along with this and other kde lists and the gentoo
distribution lists I follow as well. =:^)