Kate tutorials some where?

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Tue Mar 30 02:51:57 BST 2010

genericmaillists posted on Mon, 29 Mar 2010 20:55:30 -0400 as excerpted:

> On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 6:16 PM, James Tyrer <jrtyrer at earthlink.net>
> wrote:
>> On 03/28/10 23:35, genericmaillists at gmail.com wrote: <SNIP>
>>> Now when I do a search about "escape sequences in Kate" this post that
>>> I started shows up at the top of the list.
>>>
>> I don't know if KATE has added any additional functions to the regular
>> expression syntax.  All KDE applications use Qt regular expressions
>> syntax and you might want to look for documentation of that.
>
> Thanks, That can be handy. I will see if I can find Qt docs about regex
> synatx

kde3 had "kregedit" or some such named tool, that could be called by
applications.  It had help which described the qt regex syntax, and may
have linked a trolltech qt document for further info, IDR.

Unfortunately, that tool wasn't initially ported to kde4.  I've not
actually looked to see if it's available now, but do know I've seen an
option <somewhere, IDR where> to turn on a regex button in some dialog,
but the button did nothing last I tried it due to lack of that tool.  So
it's still apparently planned, but I don't know if it's actually ported
yet or not.

But I have seen the qt regex documentation.  It's indeed quite useful once
you find it.  Let's see if I have a bookmark...

I do! =:^)  <changing the outdated 4.5... yes, there's a 4.6 document too>

http://qt.nokia.com/doc/4.6/qregexp.html

Obviously this is developer level not user documentation, but it does seem
to include what's needed for users, it just includes a LOT more, too.

Anne, perhaps cleaning this up to something user-level might make a good
userbase entry?  Most of the entry could be copy/pasted, the issue would
be deciding what to leave out.  And I'd be sure to link the qt document
for 4.6 and suggest that people consider changing that and looking it up
for 4.7, etc, as qt updates, if they want updated or developer-level
information.