about akonadi

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 24 19:25:29 GMT 2010

On Wednesday 24 March 2010 19:09:08 Duncan wrote:
> xPol posted on Wed, 24 Mar 2010 18:11:54 +0100 as excerpted:
> > Any tutorial to explain people what is the use of akonadi?
>
> Well, it's not a tutorial per se, but there's quite a bit of info out
> there...
>
> Check userbase ( http://userbase.kde.org , linked from the kde.org front
> page at kde.org as "userbase wiki").  With just a couple minutes browsing
> there, I discovered the intro to kde page, which as a link to Glossary,
> which lists Akonadi with a short (three paragraph) description, and has
> three links for further information (for kde's pim -- dead link,

Oops - thanks for pointing that out.  That page was removed only a day or two
ago, and I didn't think of the impact on that page.  The link is repaired, now
pointing to the new userbase Akonadi page.

> the
> wikipedia akonadi link, not too technical, and the kde techbase akonadi
> link, /loads/ of info, some of it quite technical, a release history and
> roadmap, more).
>
> Here's the link to the Glossary itself.  You can follow the links there
> for more info if desired.  As mentioned above, the techbase link has the
> most info, if you're into release history, roadmaps, and technical detail.
>
> http://userbase.kde.org/Glossary

Currently Akonadi is only used by KAddressBook.  Over the coming year you can
expect to see other applications using it.  And one important point is that
it's not KDE specific, even though it is KDE 'invented'.  Non-KDE applications
can use it, and I'm pretty sure that as it matures they will.

Anne
--
KDE Community Working Group