embedding gtk apps in kde

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Mon Mar 8 14:09:54 GMT 2010

On Monday, 2010-03-08, Aljoša Mohorović wrote:
> i was wondering if it's possible to embed gtk app in a kde window?
> what i would like to do is:
> - make gvim behave as a simple kde widget and place it inside kde window
> - i don't expect any interaction between kde parent window and
> embedded gvim "widget"

That might be possible through X-Embed. This is basically part of the X11
specification which allows embedding windows of one process into a window of
another.
It is for example used by system tray or notification area implementations,
i.e. to embed the windows (usually icons) of applications running in the
background.

I suggest you'll ask on a developer mailinglist, e.g. kde-devel, to get more
details.

Cheers,
Kevin

P.S.: one of the Kate developers is working on a VIM like input mode for Kate
[1]. Might be worth investigating, KatePart can be embedded easily into any
KDE application and even allows interaction between itself and the host app.

[1] http://hamberg.no/erlend/2008/11/24/the-vi-input-mode-for-kate-is-done/
KDE user support, developer mentoring