settings for font colors

Rick Miles frmrick at aapt.net.au
Tue Mar 2 01:33:21 GMT 2010

On Tuesday 02 March 2010 12:02:13 Duncan wrote:
> Rick Miles posted on Tue, 02 Mar 2010 11:10:15 +1100 as excerpted:
> > I'm new to kde4.4 :^)
> >
> > Wher is the setting for system tray fonts? All my notifications are
> > black on black.
> >
> > Wher is the setting for desktop font colors, i.e. the lettering under
> > icons, and also where is the setting for font shadowing for lettering
> > under icons. I seem to remember these being in Advanced where wallpaper
> > was changed. Wallpaper is is now changed under Desktop Activity Settings
> > when I right click on the desktop but there are no settings for fonts
> > and shadowed text and degfault seems to be some sort of white shadow
> > cloud behind the icon text on my desktop.
>
> The desktop, aka plasma, has its own themes.  However, in a couple places,
> they seem to interact with the normal kde colors as well.  Well either
> that or the themes I run don't have a couple things set too well.  This
> can be bad if like me you have a strong "reverse color scheme" (that is,
> light text on a dark background) preference, as that's uncommon and the
> assumption would be dark text on a light background.
>
> Unfortunately, unlike kde, where most of the colors are set specifically,
> with plasma one has to choose a theme -- altho individual components (,
> general color scheme, panel background, desktop widget background, analog
> clock, etc) can be set to different themes if desired.  Editing individual
> elements within a component, however, requires editing the text-based
> config files themselves, unfortunately.
>
> To set a default plasma (aka "workspace") theme, see kcontrol (the
> application formerly known as, now less accurately and way too generically
> known as system settings), look & feel, appearance, style, workspace tab.
> You can even download more from kdelook using the button, if you like.
>
> If you wish to mix and match components from different themes, that's
> under advanced user settings, desktop theme details.  Select the one that
> you want to use as your base in the top ribbon, thus setting all the
> individual components to it, then change individual components to those of
> other themes as desired.
>
> But here, I liked a particular theme ("Professional", downloaded from
> kdelook) except for one problem: the lettering on the "cashew" (aka
> toolbox) popup was white (good), but surrounded by white shadow as well
> (bad), thus making it unreadable (very bad).  To fix that I had to edit an
> individual entry in the theme color scheme file.  But there was a trick to
> the entry I had to edit, as plasma was apparently trying to out-smart
> itself.
>
> It sounds like you may have similar issues but in different areas.  You
> have two choices.  You can either trial and error with themes until you
> find something you like that doesn't have such issues, or, if you're like
> me and have a particular favorite, except for those one or two things, you
> [...]
Thanks Duncan,

All hat info gives me a place to start. I use a background for awhile and then
switch, sometimes needing white lettering sometimes black. Other things I'll have
to live with and get used to them. It seemed I was able to have a transparent
panel up until now using either bare naked or naked (dunno which) now I've lost
that too.

I suppose its still early days and maybe I'll get it sorted out so its all a bit
less painfull.
--
Cheers,

Rick Miles

Written on Sweetmorn, the 61st of Chaos, 3176
http://turtlespond.net
http://rickmiles.com.au