firefox/open office integration with KDE

Nikos Chantziaras realnc at arcor.de
Fri Jun 11 14:12:17 BST 2010

On 06/11/2010 03:46 PM, Duncan wrote:
>[...]
> So what that leaves us with is a number of independent classes of apps,
> each of which naturally integrate to some extent with others of their
> class, but don't naturally integrate well if at all with those of other
> classes.  Gnome apps tightly integrate; xfce apps tightly integrate;
> they're both gtk based so loosely integrate with each other and other gtk
> apps such as firefox.  KDE apps tightly integrate, and loosely integrate
> with qt apps, since kde is qt based.  But kde and qt apps don't naturally
> integrate well with gtk, gnome and xfce apps

That is not corrent.  Qt apps integrate very well in Gnome/XFCE/etc.  I
know because I target Gnome users in my application which I write with
Qt.  A user is not able to tell that the application is actually
Qt-based rather than Gtk-based; it looks and behaves exactly as any
other Gnome/Gtk app.

The other way around (Gtk apps on KDE) is not working very well.  This
results in the non-optimal (from KDE's perspective) situation that users
are actually better off running Gnome or XFCE instead of KDE because
both Gtk as well as Qt apps integrate well there, and not well the other
way around.