firefox/open office integration with KDE

Peter Lewis lewisp at avex.co.uk
Fri Jun 11 09:57:14 BST 2010

On Friday 11 Jun 2010 mafeusek at gmail.com sent:

> Hallo Group Members
>
> I work with group of people that used windows and now `have to' use KDE.
> They are not computer scientists, just day to day computer users. In
> general they like KDE (modern look and feel), except one part they don't,
>  it is firefox/open office integration with KDE.
>
> I suggested using KDE equivalents: konqueror/koffice, but again both of
> these programs are not popular and thus, for example there are no
> plugins, like google toolbar present.
>
> My concern is why KDE team spends time on developing separate programs
> (konqueror/koffice) instead using their invaluable capabilities to
> integrate firefox/open office?
>
> best regards

I find this odd as I run openSuSe 11.2 and Firefox and Open Office are both
integrated with the KDE look and feel, Firefox more than Open Office. Open
Office uses its own file open and file save dialogues but they are similar to
the KDE native versions.

Unfortunately it is the nature of the beast. The developers are, often,
unpaid, so they will do what appeals to them.
If you used wifi connected machines you would find that the Gnome widgets just
work but the KDE adopted versions still have problems. For this reason I use
Ubuntu Gnome on my laptop and just have to put up with the "it's nothing like
windows" interface philosophy.

--

All the best,
Peter Lewis