status for kget downloads

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Thu Jun 3 02:59:36 BST 2010

Felix Miata posted on Wed, 02 Jun 2010 19:12:04 -0400 as excerpted:

> When I click on a download link in Konq 3 and kget comes up to ask where
> to save, it disappears after selection is made. I don't see kget in the
> KDE3 menu system. How do I get a window reporting download progress?

Obviously kde3 is a ways back in time for many of us, now.  However,
IIRC...

There was a kget app, just not in the menu.  You could start it from
konsole (thus using tab-completion to get the specific name), or from run
dialog.

Here, there was a single dialog that showed overall progress, with a
button to show per-download details as well.  However, I'm not sure if
that was the default, or just the way I had it configured.

Also, note that konqueror had its own downloader, with kget able to
replace it, or not, as configured.

I remember one element of the kget UI was a drop-target, that you could
drop links on and it would download them.  But I seldom enabled either
that, or kget in general (and eventually, I stopped installing kget), as
it seemed kget was more designed for dialup for perhaps ISDN, while even
the 600-ish kbps DSL I had before cable was fast enough the extra features
of kget just didn't seem worth the trouble.  I think it may have had a
systray icon too, but my memory is very fuzzy on that.

Hopefully Dale's still around.  Last I knew, he was still running kde3,
and should be able to provide rather more accurate details than my now
fuzzy memory of something now nearing a year off my system.