KWin does not generate window shadows for VLC

Nikos Chantziaras realnc at arcor.de
Fri Jul 30 21:49:36 BST 2010

On 07/30/2010 01:05 AM, Duncan wrote:
> Nikos Chantziaras posted on Wed, 28 Jul 2010 21:57:18 +0300 as excerpted:
>
>> When using VLC with a skin, KWin doesn't drop a shadow under the window.
>>    VLC bypasses the window manager it seems, so even though it's actually
>> a (frameless) window, it's not handled as such.  Is there a way around
>> that?
>[...]
> Can you setup a window-specific config for it?
> [...]
> That should populate the first two tabs, window, and window extra, back on
> the second dialog.  You can make further changes to them (perhaps changing
> exact match to substring match for the window title, if you're matching
> it, for instance, and setting an appropriate description, possibly simply
> "VLC"), then move on, to the actual settings kwin can control on the last
> three tabs.
>
> There doesn't seem to be a direct option controlling shadows, but given
> that you said about the VLC window, tt'd be interesting to see what
> checking "no border" (preferences tab), force, but leaving the right
> checkbox UNCHECKED, would do.  No-border, forced, but unchecked on the
> right, should force a border to be displayed.
>
> Also, on the workarounds tab, try playing with the window type,  [...]

I've played with the settings and restarting VLC after each change, but
no go.  The settings are obeyed though, so I know the window is detected
correctly (for example, setting translucency to 50% makes the window
see-through.)

Btw, if I create a rule for something like Dolphin and force the window
border off, KWin still applies a (fainter) shadow.  So it's not because
VLC in skin mode lacks a border that KWin doesn't shadow it.  I suppose
I should better ask in the VLC forums/lists about this.

> Meanwhile, what sort of video playback display are you using, and on what
> hardware?

Xv on a Radeon HD4870 using xf86-video-ati with kernel 2.6.35_rc6, UMS.
  The driver supports Xv very well.  Everything seems to work OK,
including VSync.

> Finally, what other players have you tried?  Just putting a word in for
> smplayer, with its many features found lacking in kde's default
> dragonplayer, or the built-in player kparts in dolphin/gwenview/konqueror.

I'm using SMPlayer mainly, but I've come across some missing features
(like the inability of mplayer to bring silent and loud parts of DTS and
AC3 audio closer together, like PowerDVD on Windows is able to do) and
so I thought I'll try VLC and see if it does better.

I'm on Gentoo too btw, so I know mplayer isn't crippled.