Kmail problems

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Mon Jul 26 19:48:22 BST 2010

Hi Peter,

On Monday, 2010-07-26, Peter Nikolic wrote:

> Hi Kevin
>
> The version i am trying to use the configs from is the version that came
> with KDE 4.3.1 on an opensuse 11.2 RC  version  it is a problem i have
> come across several times  unless i use kde as root but as a user i have
> always had to fight this problem and normally end up redoing it all by
> hand but thats going to take me a month of sundays to do now

I've been doing upgrades since KDE2 times and the only time I had to redo some
things was at the KDE3 to KDE4 transition (some folder specific settings
didn't get converted properly).

Are you doing this on the same machine or did you copy the data somehow?

If the latter, did you make sure all files have the correct ownership and
access rights?

I am not sure if SUSE changed any paths, but also check whether there is a
difference in where KDE stores things.
Some distributions changed from $HOME/.kde to $HOME/.kde4 and some even back
again.

If the upgrade you are doing has such a change, you'll probably have to
restore you backup first outside of KDE and then rename the directory to match
the new path requirement.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring