KMail - I can't select those contacts in my addressbook

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 22 09:49:27 BST 2010

On Thursday 22 July 2010 08:32:12 Frank Weng (a.k.a. Franklin) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just upgraded to KDE 4.4.3, got rid of all my settings, and reconfigured
> everything.  Now I have a problem.
>
> In KAddressbook I created a new (classical KDE) addressbook.  I imported
> all the vcard files in my .local/share/contacts.  In the KAddressbook I
> can see contacts there.
>
> However, in KMail, when I want to mail to someone in the contact list, I
> found that I could not choose anyone.  It had a "Default Addressbook",
> however no one was there.  I couldn't connect my addressbook with KMail.
> Any idea and hint?

I think http://userbase.kde.org/KAddressBook#Enabling_Resources may be what
you need.  If you can see the vcards in .local/share/contacts it should just
be a matter of setting that this is what you want to use as your default.

> BTW, in the KDE addressbook, there is no category field, which I relied to
> filter who I wanted to mail to.  Now what field is in place of the category
> field?

In 4.4, IIRC, it was not possible to see or use the category field.  I have
4.4.92, which is a beta for 4.5, and categories are again in the edit-contact
display.  I believe they will be re-named to tags, but I can see the
categories that were already set, and I can define new tags/categories.
However, I don't seem to be able to do much with them, at the moment, which is
odd because I thought that in a recent version I could filter by them.

Anyway, I suspect that we will not get the full functionality of this until
the new KMail comes out, around September if all goes to plan.

Anne
--
KDE Community Working Group