Message structure in Kmail

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Thu Jul 22 07:26:20 BST 2010

Frank Weng \(a.k.a. Franklin\) posted on Thu, 22 Jul 2010 13:29:58 +0800
as excerpted:

> I looked at the kmailrc, but I didn't know which option to edit.  I was
> searching for 'messagestruct', or even 'tructur' to avoid case
> difference.  Now I know that I should search for 'MIMETreeLocation'.
> It's so... intuitive.

LOL!

Yeah, the name in the rc file is definitely more technical.  It helps if
you know enough about email mesage format to know that the MIME RFCs
defined the modern multi-part mail structure we have today.  And the kmail
devs obviously have to be familiar with the official message specs, so the
name is logical from that perspective.  But then they wrote the GUI for it
and realized that many users would have no clue if they called it a MIME
tree, so in the UI, it's message structure.  So that makes perfect sense,
too.

... Until a UI config option disappears and you're a user trying to match
the UI name with the setting in the file, and you haven't a clue what to
look for.

But I suspected it might be labeled differently in the file, and simply
hoped that however it was labeled, I'd know it when I saw it.  Which I did
(knowing what MIME was certainly helped), but only after manually scanning
way more of that 120 KB config file than I wanted to!