Plasma Window Visible

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Tue Jul 13 22:06:04 BST 2010

Andreas Hennig posted on Tue, 13 Jul 2010 21:44:06 +0200 as excerpted:

> since i installed KDE 4.5 beta on my kubuntu 10.4 there is a small
> window on my dektop without name. When i close this window also plasma
> desktop closes. Meanwhile i'm running 4.5 RC2 but this window is still
> there. Is this a commom problem? How can i hide this window?

I'm not running the beta (until 4.4, released kde4 was beta enough, I've
had my fill of pre-release quality kde for the time being), but you should
be able to find out a bit about the window, including the app running it,
the window role if any, the type of window, etc, plus hide it if desired,
using kwin's specific window settings setup dialog.

This is the kde 4.4 instructions but they should be similar for 4.5, I'd
imagine.  The settings only work if you're using kwin as your window
manager.  If you're using another window manager, you'd configure it to
hide the window, presuming it has settings for doing so, of course.

Click on the system menu icon of any window and select "Configure Window
Behavior".  On the left, the bottom category/icon should be "Window
Specific".  Click that.  On the right, click new, and in the resulting
dialog, click "Detect Window Properties".  That should result in a "+"
selection cursor.  Use that to click on the window in question.

The result should be a dialog with the window class (often the application
name), window role, if any, title if any (you say there's none, so...),
type, extra role if any, machine (which in the normal case will be your
local machine's name), and some choices about which information to use and
how strict to be with it.  That gives you a bit of information, and you
can cancel out or continue from there.

Assuming you continue, after making your initial choices there, hit OK,
and you'll have the multi-tabbed specific window settings dialog.  The
first couple tabs duplicate the info and choices you saw in the first
window.  You can adjust your choices here if need be, and add a
description that will be used to list this set of settings in the window-
specific settings list when you're done.

To hide the window, you'll probably want to force minimized (on the
geometry tab), and may want to remove the window from the taskbar and
window-switcher (aka pager, the term used in the settings) lists (on the
preferences tab), as well.