Bookmarking Unicode characters

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Mon Jul 5 11:31:30 BST 2010

Dotan Cohen posted on Mon, 05 Jul 2010 12:17:50 +0300 as excerpted:

> On 3 July 2010 12:04, Robin Atwood <robin at binro.org> wrote:
>> On Saturday 03 July 2010, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>>> In KDE 3 There was a terrific panel app for bookmarking common Unicode
>>> characters. For instance, I often need this annoying beast:
>>> http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/2060/index.htm
>>>
>>> Is there any way to run that KDE 3 applet in KDE 4? Any sort of
>>> replacement?
>>
>> I use the KDE3 ksensors applet and it works exactly as it did on the
>> old kicker panel.
>
> Thanks. I cannot find where to download the individual applets
> separately. Can you steer me in the right direction?

Well, you'd need at least qt3 and kdelibs3 installed as well (if it's
indeed a kde3 app, not simply a qt3 app calling itself k*).

A quick google at google.com/linux for "ksensors", first hit is the
sourceforge homepage, last release from 2k4.  Doesn't seem so hard to me.

FWIW, I'm quite happy with the yasp-scripted plasmoid from kdelook, as
it's quite flexible indeed.  In fact, I sent the author several of my
scripts and a screenshot with them running, and they've been shipped in
the tarball for some time now. Additionally, I've rather adopted it,
subscribing to the comment feed and answering questions, etc, as they're
posted.

Or if you want something even more flexible, consider superkaramba themes
(which plasma can run too).  In addition to the variety of themes for it
available on kdelook, it's basically yasp-scripted on steroids, as it
allows horizontal placement not just vertical stacks like yasp-scripted.
At some point I'll probably upgrade to it and run just a single master
instance of it with all the stuff I'm following now as sub-themes, instead
of the multiple yasp-scripted instances I'm running now, since yasp-
scripted only stacks vertically, not horizontally.  But being more
flexible, superkaramba's also somewhat more complex to learn, and at the
time I adopted yasp-scripted to replace my ksysguard kicker applet with
all its real-time reports, I I had my hands full trying to get the rest of
my usual desktop config converted to kde4, and I went with the simpler
yasp-scripted in ordered to actually get something up and running.

>> However, the KDE4 Character Selector plasmoid finally became useful
>> with KDE 4.4 and you can find the "word-joiner" on the
>> "Symbols"/"General Punctuation" page, although using DejaVu Sans I
>> can't see anything!
>>

> Yes, but one cannot _bookmark_ the specific characters important to
> them. That is what I need: the bookmarking.

You could do what I've done sometimes, and save a file with just the few
characters you want.  Then you can open in and select/paste or copy/paste
as desired.  Of course, with a case such as the zero-space joiner that's
of immediate interest, I'd probably place it between two other characters,
select/copy/paste all three, then delete the ones on either side, to make
it easier to actually grab it, but that's only a tiny adaptation on the
theme...