Finally, I downgraded.

Johannes Huesing johannes at huesing.name
Tue Jan 19 22:18:53 GMT 2010

Duncan <1i5t5.duncan at cox.net> [Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 12:44:42AM CET]:
> B.W.H. van Beest posted on Sun, 17 Jan 2010 00:08:31 +0100 as excerpted:

[...]
> > Nothing works the intuitive way!    Everything is slow. It is the Vista
> > of Linux.
> >
> > I know that much work has been done, and is still ongoing, to get KDE in
> > shape. I truly appreciate this work.  For me, I will wait another year,
> > to give it another try.

[...]
> But as I said, each 4.x version has brought massive improvements, with
> 4.0 being conference level tech demo, 4.1 being early alpha, 4.2 late
> alpha (many features not yet implemented or stub-leveled), 4.3 finally
> getting to beta quality (mostly implemented, but seriously buggy), 4.4,
> due out next month, predicted to be rc quality (no more show-stoppers,
> but some bugs yet to fix and edges to smooth out before release), and
> 4.5, due in August, hopefully finally actual release quality.

Let's not forget that many of us get to look at KDE according to the
respective distribution.

I only subscribed to this list out of a "how can I get the basic functionality
of KDE 3.5 back" panic, but am under the suspicion that part of the problem
was with the distribution (Karmic Koala being more rough than ready two months
ago). With more recent updates, KDE has become rather usable with some
pleasant surprises.

--
Johannes Hüsing               There is something fascinating about science.
                              One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture