KDE 4.3.4 cannot start

Sagara Wijetunga sagara at tomahawk.com.sg
Sun Jan 17 04:09:51 GMT 2010

James Tyrer wrote:
> Sagara Wijetunga wrote:
>
>> James Tyrer wrote:
>>
>>> I have these packages installed:
>>>
>>> DBus
>>> DBus-Glib
>>> HAL
>>> HAL-Info
>>> PolicyKit
>>> EggDBus
>>> polkit
>>> ConsoleKit
>>>
>>> I don't really know if they are all really dependencies for KDE, but
>>> they are what is normally installed on a system using D-Bus/HAL/PolicyKit.
>>>

>> All are installed here too.
>>

>>> If you installed KDE-4 in a directory other than "/usr" or "/usr/local"
>>> you need to add the directory to the list in:
>>>
>>> /etc/dbus-1/session-local.conf
>>>

>> The KDE is installed in /usr.
>>

>>> The other suggestion for debugging would be to start X with only an X
>>> terminal and then execute:
>>>
>>> 	echo $DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS
>>>
>>> If you don't get an answer, then:
>>>
>>> 	eval `dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session`
>>>
>>> and check it:
>>>
>>> 	echo $DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS
>>>
>>> With D-Bus up and running, execute:
>>>
>>> 	<full_path>/startkde >kde.log 2>&1
>>>
>>> This should give you a shorter log with only KDE issues.
>>>
>>> There are also tools for D-Bus: dbus-*.  Read the man pages
>>>

>> Here is what I did:
>>
>> 1. cat > .xinitrc << "EOF"
>> # Begin .xinitrc file
>> xterm -g 80x40+0+0 &
>> xclock -g 100x100-0+0 &
>> twm
>> EOF
>>
>> 2. startx
>>
>> 3. On xterm:
>> No $DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS yet
>> eval `dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session`
>>
>> echo $DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS
>> unix:path=/var/tmp/dbus-XdU7IrFpIn,guid=4ea14ef09629ea18bde8fbb64b4d4b09
>>
>> 4. On xterm:
>> /usr/bin/startkde >kde.log 2>&1
>>
>> xmessage pop up:
>> Could not start D-Bus. Can you call qdbus?
>>
>> Here is the kde.log:
>>
>> kdostartupconfig4(7634) main: Running kdostartupconfig.
>> kdostartupconfig4(7634) main:
>> "/usr/home/testuser/.kde4/share/config/startupconfigkeys"
>> kdostartupconfig4(7634) KLocalePrivate::initEncoding: Cannot resolve
>> system encoding, defaulting to ISO 8859-1.
>> xset: bad font path element (#23), possible causes are:
>> Directory does not exist or has wrong permissions
>> Directory missing fonts.dir
>> Incorrect font server address or syntax
>> Link points to "/tmp/testuser-kde4/kde-testuser"
>> Link points to "/var/tmp/testuser-kde4/kdecache-testuser"
>> Link points to "/tmp/testuser-kde4/ksocket-testuser"
>> startkde: Starting up...
>> startkde: Could not start D-Bus. Can you call qdbus?
>>

> Check for qdbus, if you haven't already.
>
> If you have "which" installed, execute:
>
> 	which qdbus
>
> If it doesn't find it, this would meand that the Qt-4 'bin' directory
> isn't on your PATH.

This qdbus error is due to some reason the dbus session bus started by
.xinitrc die before run the qdbus in /usr/bin/startkde.

Leaving startkde to launch the dbus session bus works but the
plasma-desktop still crashes as before.

Note, this time I have a new dbus related message:
plasma-desktop(1229) getComponent: Failed to connect to the kglobalaccel
daemon QDBusError("org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NameHasNoOwner", "Could
not get owner of name 'org.kde.kglobalaccel': no such name")

The dbus session started by the startkde remains even after the
plasma-desktop is crashed.

Regards
Sagara