KDE 4.3.4 cannot start

Sagara Wijetunga sagara at tomahawk.com.sg
Fri Jan 8 14:46:37 GMT 2010

Duncan wrote:
> Sagara Wijetunga posted on Fri, 08 Jan 2010 18:44:17 +0800 as excerpted:
>

>> I have another update.
>>
>> I made a small change in my /etc/profile.d/kde4.sh:
>> - KDEHOME=$HOME/.kde4
>> + KDEHOME=$HOME/.kde
>>
>> Now startx does not pop with kstartupconfig4 issue and it continue. I
>> get a very nice graphical screen, hard disk icon come first, I get some
>> more icons, and I finally get the KDE logo and then run for a while and
>> plasma-desktop crashes.
>>

>> Error message was:  "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply" : " "Did not
>> receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not
>> send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the
>> reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken." "
>>

> What version of hal are you running?  What version of qt4?  What
> platform, 32-bit x86, amd64/x86_64, or other?  If it's only plasma-
> desktop-crashing, you can probably use alt-F2 to bring up krunner, and
> run individual apps from there, tho of course that's a poor replacement
> for all the services and eye candy plasma-desktop provides.
>
> I forgot which list (the general kde list or the Linux one) I posted my
> (different thread) reply to, but there, for the OP, kde was starting, but
> plasma-desktop was crashing.  In my first reply, I noted that I had the
> same issue on my (brand new installation so no working history to go on,
> and a fresh user config as well) netbook, but that my main machine was
> working fine.  But on the problem machine, as indicated above, I could
> still run stuff in kde using krunner, and little else seemed affected.
>
> I run Gentoo, and found the issue listed in Gentoo's bugzilla.
> Apparently, hal-0.5.14 doesn't get along well with qt-4.6.0 -- but ONLY
> on some archs -- 32-bit x86 has the problem, amd64 aka x86_64 doesn't.
> I'm not sure on other archs.
>
> So I package.masked hal-0.5.14 on my netbook, thus forcing a downgrade to
> 0.5.13-r2 (the -r2 notation indicating this is the third (r0 is the
> first, with the -r0 bit left off) gentoo version bump of the same
> upstream package version).  The alternative was of course to package-mask
> qt-4.6.0, but it's a bigger package (actually, on Gentoo, set of
> packages) and would have required longer to recompile, so I went with the
> easy one.
>
> It worked!  plasma-desktop quit crashing!  So maybe you have the same
> issue, now that you've worked thru the others, if you're 32-bit x86, and
> running qt-4.6.0 and hal-0.5.14.
>
> Even if that's not the issue, perhaps you can use krunner to start the
> critical stuff, until you figure out what's wrong with plasma-desktop.
> Among other things (and it wasn't clear from your post, maybe you're
> doing this already), if krunner is working, you can use it to invoke
> konsole, and then try running plasma-desktop from konsole.  That might
> work, or it might still crash, but at least then, you can follow the
> [...]
Here are my side info:
HAL-0.5.13, Xorg 7.5, Qt-4.6.0, 32-bit x86, OS: FreeBSD 7.2 (Tomahawk
Desktop).

Its only plasma-desktop crash. After the plasma-desktop crash, I can
press Alt-F2 and run krunner, from there I can select and run konsole.
The konsole screen appear but goes off, konsole does not crash. Since
konsole disappear, I cannot run anything any further.

Regards
Sagara