Embarrassing "systemsettings" question...

Steven P. Ulrick lists-kde at afolkey2.net
Sun Jan 3 13:14:11 GMT 2010

> On Friday 01 January 2010 11:27:09 Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Friday 01 January 2010 02:46:48 Steven P. Ulrick wrote:
> > > Hello Everyone
> > > It is an embarrassing question because:
> > > 1. I read somewhere that the functionality of "KCron" from KDE3.5.*
> > > was located somewhere in "systemsettings"
> > > 2. Worse, I have used it from that location on a few occasions, and
> > > now I can't find it any more...
> > >
> > > This came up because of an almost certainly NON-KDE issue: the
> > > /var/spool/crontab file that contained the commands that I use to
> > > back up my system every day have disappeared...  I think THAT would
> > > be a question for the Fedora list, though :)
> > >
> > > Anyway, just refresh my memory: where is the functionality of KCron
> > > now located.  And, if it has really disappeared from my system for
> > > some reason, why, and has it disappeared for anyone else?
> >
> > There has been much talk about reorganising because people thought that
> >  the layout was unfriendly.  It seems to me that some items have been
> >  lost in the shift.  I agree that kcron seems to have gone (in 4.3.85),
> >  and so does user management, both of which are very important to me.
> >  I'll try to ask around and find out what's happening.
>
> Running F12/KDE-4.4Beta2 here, for Kcron how about:
>
> System Settings >  Advanced > (System Section)Task Scheduler

On the KDE that ships with Fedora 12 (the one that is currently in the
official Fedora 12 updates) "System Settings >  Advanced > (System
Section)Task Scheduler" does not exist.

On the KDE install that I have that is compiled from SVN Trunk, the "Task
Scheduler" is back.  So it's probably like Anne said, that it got lost in
the shuffle somewhere, and now it is back.

So I trust that it will be back in the Fedora 12 KDE in due time...

Steven P. Ulrick