Hard disk power management

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Fri Feb 26 18:08:19 GMT 2010

Nikos Chantziaras posted on Fri, 26 Feb 2010 19:39:41 +0200 as excerpted:

> I'm currently dual booting Linux (Gentoo) and Windows 7.  In Windows,
> there's an option in the power management settings to spin down hard
> disks if they're idle for a specified amount of time.  Is there
> something similar in KDE?  (4.4.0).

I'm not sure about kde, tho I'd guess it's likely, with the power-devil/
laptop/hal/polkit etc USE flags/packages.  However, it's definitely
possible at the command line.

If you're on a laptop and battery, you almost certainly WANT/NEED laptop-
mode-tools installed and configured.

If you're on an always AC line-powered system, you likely don't want or
need all that, but hdparm does what you want.  Merge and configure it, put
its initscript in the appropriate runlevels, and it'll setup the hd
power-downs (among other things) for you at boot.  (While the kernel ide
subsystem is deprecated in favor of libata based sata/pata management,
thus /dev/sd* instead of /dev/hd*, don't be fooled by that into thinking
hdparm no longer works.  It has taken a bit of time both for hdparm itself
and to get the required command pass-thrus in the kernel, but hdparm works
quite well for libata based /dev/sd* management now, as well as the
deprecated ide /dev/hd*.)