Setting Panel to Hide Automatically in fractions of a second (kde 3.5.10, Debian 5.0)

Jozef Šiška yoyo at gm.ksp.sk
Thu Feb 25 20:49:13 GMT 2010

Randy Kramer wrote:

> Duncan,
> On Thursday 25 February 2010 01:14:58 pm Duncan wrote:
>> Randy Kramer posted on Thu, 25 Feb 2010 10:22:41 -0500 as excerpted:
>> > I'd like to find a way to set the Panel to Hide
>> > Automatically in fractions of a second--
>>
>> Interesting question.  The kind I might find myself asking. =:^)
>
> ---< good stuff involving strace snipped >---
>
> Duncan,
>
> Thanks--now I can fish! ;-)
>
> Seriously, that worked well--the parameter I need to adjust is
> AutoHideDelay under [General] in ~/.kde/kickerrc.
>
> Unfortunately, it seems to be settable only in increments of 1 second--I
> tried setting it to 0.1 and to 1/10, and neither of those worked (and,
> somehow, both of those were interpreted as a setting of 3 seconds--or
> maybe that's a default).
>
> Now I'm googling for AutoHideDelay to find out if there is some way to
> set it in increments of less than 1 second (that is, short of modifying
> the code and recompiling).

I'm affraid not, looking at the code, the AutoHideDelay property is defined
as Int with the default "3" [1].

And btw, it seems that 0 also isn't really 0 [2]:

        if (m_settings.autoHideDelay() == 0)
        {
            _autohideTimer->start(250);
        }
        else
        {
            _autohideTimer->start(m_settings.autoHideDelay() * 1000);
        }

I looked at the 3.5.9 tag in svn... don't know what the latest release of
kde3 was...

yoyo

[1]
http://websvn.kde.org/tags/KDE/3.5.9/kdebase/kicker/kicker/core/extensionSettings.kcfg?view=markup