kde 3, 4, 4.5[?] How to install to kde 4 (or newer)?

genericmaillists at gmail.com genericmaillists at gmail.com
Sun Feb 14 18:10:00 GMT 2010

On Sat, Feb 13, 2010 at 6:16 PM, hud ramelan <narcoamnesia at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi there!
>
> I'm somewhat of a Newbie to both the great land of UNIX, LINUX &c., as well
> as the kde desktop (or for that matter...just the concept of distros which
> have different desktop options (e.g., GNOME, kde).
>
> I have been running PCLINUXOS 2009 for the past few weeks with kde 3
> packaged with it.  I have noticed that kde has advanced to kde 4 or 4.5 and
> that kde 3 is somewhat outdated.
>
> E.g., I want to install KTTS/KTTSD which I gather is compatible with kde 4+
> and not so compatible with kde 3. Reading onscreen makes my eyes irritated.
> [?]
>
>  I also wish to install the appropriate K -FAX application that will allow
> me to use my Connexant Smart Modem (fax) over a land line (using a TP-Link
> ADSL modem/router).  I do not wish to use ´fax over internet protocol´, so
> to speak.
>
> Many of the efax apps appears to be just that: email based faxing.
>

> *Questions*:
>
> 1. How do I update or install kde 4[+] over an existing kde 3 desktop
> (PCLINUXOS)?
>
> 2. Which is the best fax software to use for actual modem-landline usage
> that is well suited for kde?
>
> 3.  Is there a way to download an entire kde-related manual instead of
> hitting links after links and printing out one or two pages -- when there
> are hundreds of pages to read?!  I dislike reading online.
>
> 4.  I recently ran into troubles with updates and discovered that I needed
> to try a few different repositories before things worked properly again.
>  The repository that worked was one of the few  FTP server-based options.
>  Many were http:ftp combos  >8>- ...
>
> Can anyone explain this state of affairs without too much bother?
>
> MANY TANKS (sorry for so MANY K-uestions!)
> [?]
> TTFN,

If you are still running PCLinuxOS go to http://www.pclinuxos.com and click
on forum. There are instructions on how to get your OS updated to KDE4. but
as someone already said PCLinuxOS 2010 is coming it will have KDE4 as the
initial DE on install.

Also only use the repositories created for PCLinuxOS. I have been using
PCLinuxOS for over 3 years. PCLinuxOS is a blend of Mandriva, Red Hat,
Debian and Kubuntu. Most of the blend being Mandriva.

I am currently also running Debian (does not have KDE4 in the repo) and
learning how to build Gentoo, LFS and Arch