Fwd: Re: Quassel wrapping

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Sat Feb 13 00:44:56 GMT 2010

Anne Wilson posted on Fri, 12 Feb 2010 18:39:11 +0000 as excerpted:

> On Friday 12 February 2010 18:17:40 Dotan Cohen wrote:
>>
>> kde-users? I see no such list:
>>
>> Maybe you are thinking of kdepim-user?
>
> No.  Sorry, that's the name on my folder.  The list is
> https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-linux.

FWIW, this one is the gmane.comp.kde.general newsgroup to me, with the
other one being gmane.comp.kde.linux. =:^)

But the lists behind the groups are simply kde, and kde-linux.  As I
understand the descriptions, kde-linux would be for Linux specific kde
questions, while kde (aka kde.general) assumes more general, not Linux
specific altho I expect as a practical matter *ix is still a reasonably
valid assumption, at this point.

IOW, best I understood it, kde-linux would include questions involving
linux based device detection, samba, etc, stuff that's linux specific.
kde (.general) would be where non-linux-specific app discussion such as
quassel should occur.

Now I'm being told that's incorrect?  But quassel is certainly kde based
as it requires kdelibs, so it would seem to be a kde app.  (Not being a
quassel user, at first I thought perhaps it was qt4 based only, not
requiring kde, but that seems to be incorrect as at least on Gentoo, the
deps include kdelibs.)  And I see nothing about the discussion indicating
that it's linux specific, so why would the kde-linux group/list be more
appropriate?

Color me confused.