Uploading files or downloading files causes crashing.

James Tyrer jrtyrer at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 10 05:25:57 GMT 2010

Sue Harris wrote:
> Hello,
>
> If this is not a KDE problem maybe someone knows what other avenues I
> can take for troubleshooting.
>
> I mostly use Mozilla Firefox to read my e-mail from Yahoo or to access
> my Facebook account.
>
> The trouble is that when I want to upload a file, say photos into my
> Facebook account, or an attachment to an e-mail, (but any uploading of
> any file has the same issue) I click on browse so I can find the file on
> my hard drive. As soon as I click on browse, Firefox crashes.
> If I copy and paste the hard drive path into the uploading dialog box of
> Facebook and click on upload, the file is uploaded.
>
> But in my Yahoo Mail, as soon as I click on Attach, Firefox crashes.
> If I am in the old Yahoo Mail Classic, the Attach Files button takes me
> to the uploading dialog box and I can manually enter the hard drive path
> to find the file. But if I browse, Firefox crashes.
>
> It is even worse when someone sends a file to me in an e-mail or I want
> to download a file from a website. (I can't even download an updated
> version of Firefox.) As soon as I click on "Download", Firefox crashes.
>
> I've also tried Konqueror but that does not work either.
> In Facebook, I get to the uploading dialog box, click on the browse
> button and it opens up the file management window. I click on the file,
> click ok, and the file path loads into the white space. Then I click on
> Upload Photos. NOTHING happens. No crashing, but no uploading either.
>
> In Yahoo Mail, clicking on the browse button crashes Konqueror. Now I
> can't even open up Yahoo Mail in Konqueror because it seems to remember
> the last place it was at, which was to crash because of the browse
> button, so it immediately crashes.
>
> This all started Sunday 24 January, and has been driving me crazy for 2
> weeks. Saturday 23 January I was able to download & upload no problems.
> I really don't know what might have changed on Sunday that would have
> disrupted everything.

Might I first ask if you have a POP email account with your ISP? and, if
so, why are you using web-mail?

I have not been having the specific problems you describe.  I don't use
web-mail.  However, I have been having problems with both Konqueror and
Firefox crashing and I suspect that there is a KDE problem.
Specifically, I suspect the window manager: "Kwin".

I don't really have any suggestions except to use the most recent
versions (stable) of KDE and Firefox.

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch