How to get rid of sleep/hibernate?

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Wed Dec 22 00:06:15 GMT 2010

Manuel Reimer posted on Tue, 21 Dec 2010 21:22:18 +0100 as excerpted:

> So the
> steps to get rid of sleep/hibernate are:
>
> 1. Uninstall pm-utils. You won't need them if you don't plan to use
>     sleep/hibernate. This makes sure that a possible update of this
>     package doesn't overwrite our "pm-is-supported"-replacement.
> 2. Run the following command to symlink between /bin/false and
> pm-is-supported:
>     # ln -s /bin/false /usr/bin/pm-is-supported

Thank you.  Very interesting and potentially useful info.

Do note however that hal is deprecated and kde is moving off of it, IIRC
with kde 4.6.  It's thus reasonably likely that you'll need to modify your
workaround somewhat when you upgrade to that.  However, it should be
easier to figure out what they've changed, having done it once already,
and it's possible your workaround will continue to work, as-is.