Konqueror/Dolphin file managers very unstable

Jerome Yuzyk jerome at supernet.ab.ca
Tue Dec 7 21:59:14 GMT 2010

I've always liked Konqueror's file manager, but it's been completely
unstable ever since I moved to KDE4. Many operations seem to hang doing
nothing and then suddenly wake up. Crashes are routine. I switched to
Dolphin, thinking Konq had been abandoned, but it's not a lot better. File
previews are 50/50 whether they'll show or just spin.

Right now I'm on KDE 4.5.3, Fedora 13. Nothing else misbehaves like these
two apps, so maybe there's some kind of cache corruption I should clear out
or setting(s) I should avoid?