KDE 4.5 libraries problem with Skype

Manuel Escudero Jmlevick at gmail.com
Tue Aug 31 03:58:12 BST 2010

2010/8/30 Duncan <1i5t5.duncan at cox.net>

> Manuel Escudero posted on Mon, 30 Aug 2010 18:48:54 -0500 as excerpted:
>
> > I have installed Fedora 13 Goddard x86_64 in my machine and I've updated
> > to KDE 4.5, in order to run Skype I installed some 32 bit Qt libraries
> > and when I installed the new KDE desktop I had to remove them because
> > KDE 4.4 uses the "1:4.6" version of these libraries and KDE 4.5 the
> > "1:4.7"... Now I have KDE 4.5 and everything is fine but I can't run
> > lastest Skype because it needs the "1:4.6" Qt libraries, it doesn't work
> > with the new ones, but if I remove the new ones and I replace them with
> > the older ones, many apps seem to be "downgraded" or they just don't
> > work anymore... Does this mean we're not having Skype in any KDE Linux
> > distro of 64 bit with the new KDE 4.5 installed?
> >
> > Many users need skype (in my case I'm running it in a Windows 7 VM) But
> > without it we can't offer a reliable service to the Linux User who uses
> > Skype...
>
> Of course, skype's proprietary servant-ware.  They have no respect for
> your freedom and you're at their mercy, as here.  At least when kde
> dropped kde3, it was possible for someone to pick up the pieces and
> continue with it, and that's exactly what has happened (tho their success
> over a longer term remains to be seen).  With proprietaryware, you're
> simply left "up a creek without a paddle", as they say, totally at the
> mercy of the provider who has already demonstrated a lack of respect for
> the rights of their users, in terms of what the provider chooses to do
> support-wise and upgrade-wise.  This is just one more example (tho I
> expect they will eventually upgrade).
>
> Now I'm not going to pretend to be able to make the choice for someone
> else, as unlike some softwaire providers, I actually do respect the
> freedom of others (tho as it is said, their freedom ends where my nose
> begins... tho unfortunately, many don't see it that way).  However, it's a
> definite risk that people take, and they really should be aware of the
> implications of their choice when they make it.  Once they are, great, but
> too often people don't realize those implications, which is just... sad.
> If this post causes one person to think a bit before they make the choice,
> regardless of which choice they then make, it has done its job.
>
> All that said, for those who /do/ go prorietary for some of their
> software...
>
> At least for amd64 (aka x86_64), the problem shouldn't be too bad, because
> 32-bit and 64-bit libraries can be kept in different locations and
> shouldn't interfere with each other.  If you're running 64-bit kde, then
> you're using 64-bit qt4 libraries.  They should be upgradeable without
> worrying about any 32-bit versions of the libraries you may have to keep
> around for compatibility with black-box software that hasn't upgraded yet,
> and that you have no practical way of fixing the upgrade issues with
> yourself.

> [...]

I've got the solution, thanks!! Now Skype is working and I have the lastest
32 Bit Qt libraries installed in my 64 bit Fedora 13 with KDE 4.5!! :D

--
<-Manuel Escudero->
Linux User #509052
@GWave: jmlevick at googlewave.com
@Blogger: http://www.blogxenode.tk/ (Xenode Systems Blog)
PGP/GnuPG: DAE3 82E9 D68E 7AE4 ED31  1F8F 4AF4 D00C 50E7 ABC6