System tray icons

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Sat Aug 28 08:30:42 BST 2010

James Colby posted on Fri, 27 Aug 2010 21:11:09 -0400 as excerpted:

#2 and #3 should actually quit the app, not just minimize to tray (as #1
will often do for tray apps, depending on config).

> Is it possible that there is some external library that needs to be
> updated along with 4.5?  If that is true would cmake let me know that
> I'm missing a dependency?

That's possible, but that's a thicket I don't want to tackle if it can be
avoided... in part because once we get to that point, I /might/ be able to
figure out enough to muddle thru it if I were actually there myself, but
it's doubtful I'll be of much help over the list.  (... Well, other than
the brute force method of listing all the dependencies as Gentoo has them,
and the versions I have installed here... and then there's build-order,
with revdep-rebuild the tool gentoo uses for that, that could be wrong
even if you actually have the correct dependencies installed now.)

Is the "phantom" icon still responsive to context-clicks and does it still
display a tooltip (assuming you don't have that turned off) if hovered
over?

What happens if you toggle desktop effects off?  Does the icon disappear?
(There's a default keyboard shortcut for toggling it, tho I've changed
mine.  The default is... looking it up... alt-shift-f12 .)

What happens if you try killing plasma-desktop (from krunner or a konsole
window, traditional SIGTERM method: killall plasma-desktop, kde/dbus
method: kquitapp plasma-desktop), then restarting it?  Is the icon still
there, or now gone?

I'm wondering if it's simply an OpenGL or similar display glitch, tho
given the different hardware and drivers you've tried, I don't really see
how it could affect all of them.  None-the-less...

Also, do try playing with the systray config options for that icon.  When
it's still shown, does setting the systray option to hide that icon hide
it, or...?

And finally, does ps/top/ksysguard/system-activity (the last being
available from the icon in krunner) still show the app after you've "quit"
it, or does it disappear from process list at that point?