DPMS not working in 4.5

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Fri Aug 27 14:33:45 BST 2010

Greetings all;

Running pclos 32 bit on a quad core phenom here.  Currently that includes a
kde-4.5.0, but the earlier kde-4.4.5 also failed as below.

This problem exists regardless of the video card, I have tried both an ATI
HD2400 Pro, and an Nvidia 9400 GT, currently installed and both with and
without the binary drivers.

I have not been able to make anything in the way of monitor powerdown work.

I found in the configure menu's, a place to setup a log file so it would
record any actions taken, but in about 36 hours, the log remains at zero
bytes.

The current power profile is set to 'performance' as the other options all
seem to be geared for laptop use where battery life is important.  This
machine runs 24/7, so all I really need is monitor controls.  Using the
clock as a screen blanker after 5 minutes, I would like to have it powered
down after 10 minutes.

This has been true for a succession of pclos supplied kernels and for
several home brewed ones, currently using 2.6.35.3 and about to make a
2.6.35.4.

Grepping the /var/log/Xorg.0.log file for DPMS returns:
(II) Loading extension DPMS
(**) NVIDIA(0): DPMS enabled

I found a 'vbetool' utility that can turn it off, but with no way to turn it
back on except a reboot, this isn't exactly helpfull, but it does show that
it works if the commands are issued I believe.

It is possible that I am missing some module required, so what are the
minimum modules, or kernel options that must be enabled for DPMS to work?

Many thanks for any hints.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)