Zapping xorg server ?

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Wed Aug 25 03:04:44 BST 2010

Aaron Lewis posted on Wed, 25 Aug 2010 08:56:29 +0800 as excerpted:

> I've already enabled zapping , but still not working with KDE 4.4.5 ,
> any other options should i enable in systemsettings ?

> I guess KDE has some implementations that pre hooked this button.
>
> I put a startup script like `setxkbmap -option terminate:ctrl_alt_bks`.
>
> But it won't kill X11 window as i pressed ctrl + alt + backspace

I know you mentioned it elsewhere but I forgot which xorg-server you're
running.  Was it the new 1.8.x?

If so, they disabled it by default in xorg, now.  I guess it's like the
warnings they put on so much stuff now, trying to keep the Darwin Awards
potentials from becoming actual nominees...

You have to reenable it using some xorg.conf(.d/*) option.  I actually
need to do it myself, but haven't bothered yet (if I get stuck, I just use
the kernel's magic SRQ to kill it using Alt-SRQ-K... and if that doesn't
work, the kernel's screwed and it's time for the BRB anyway), so don't
recall the details, but I believe it's mentioned in the xorg.conf manpage,
and if not, it should be googlable, as seeing the articles mentioning it
is how I know about it.