Kickoff menu blank

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Sat Aug 14 04:39:12 BST 2010

member dhave posted on Fri, 13 Aug 2010 17:31:35 -0400 as excerpted:

> much for your help. Do have any other
> class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc

Please use plain text, not HTML, when posting to the lists.  Some people
(including me) prefer not to use an HTML parsing client for security or
other reasons, and all the markup is ugly.

If both a new user and your own user with kde's config moved elsewhere
continue to have the problem, as you mention, then it's obviously not a
user config issue but system-wide.  That makes things tougher, but at
least we've eliminated user config as the problem.  And we've eliminated
desktop effects as the problem as well, so that's progress. =:^)

More on the linking idea...

Try this (substituting the path as appropriate) from either a text VT or a
terminal window, konsole, whatever:

ldd /usr/lib64/libkickoff.so

All the libraries listed should have a hex number (0x...) after them.
Most but not all will have a path associated with them as well
(on amd64, linux-vdso.so.1 is the kernel virtual library, so no path, x86
has a similar library but I'm not sure it's the same exact name, similarly
with ld-linux-x86-64.so.2, obviously not named the same on x86, it's the
libc library loader library itself).

If one of those listed doesn't have the associated hex number, or if any
but those two don't have paths, you've found your missing library.

Meanwhile, I was thinking it might be something else, perhaps the plasma
color scheme you're using.  But unless something's wrong with the default
scheme on your system, the fresh user without any kde settings shouldn't
have had the problem, so that doesn't make sense either.

Something else to try.  From a konsole window, kill the plasma-desktop
process (killall plasma-desktop is what I use here).  Then restart it
(plasma-desktop), so it's dumping STDOUT and STDERR to your konsole window.

Here, I get a quite a bit of output, but most of it's simply status info
from yawp (yet another weather plasmoid).  If I didn't have it running,
the output would be much shorter.  Still, there's some output other than
that, even some that looks bad (several of QFont::setPoinSize: Point size
<=0 (0), must be greather than 0, for instance, a null image warning,
several invalid or negative size warnings, etc), but appears not to make a
whole lot of difference in practice.

Amongst all that apparently nothing to worry about output, however, you
may find something indicating or at least hinting at the problem.

When you're thru looking at the output, you will probably want to close
that konsole window, instead of using it for other things, because
plasma's likely to continue spitting out additional output as things
happen, until you close the window, and that'll screwup the display of
whatever else you're trying to do in the window.  So just use it for that,
then kill the window when you're done.  (plasma-desktop should
automatically disown itself from the konsole parent, so you shouldn't have
to worry about the konsole close killing plasma again, too.  If perchance
it does, krunner should still launch (alt-f2 by default), and you can run
plasma from there.)