KDE 4: trouble setting up two separate Xservers

Paul van Gerven baloedebruinebeer at gmail.com
Fri Apr 30 20:13:56 BST 2010

In Kubuntu Lucid Lynx (KDE SC 4.4), I have been trying to configure a two
Xserver setup. One XServer uses my videocard, the other the tv-out of my
Hauppauge 350 tv-card. I have been running this setup for a couple of years,
both in Gnome and in KDE 3.x. This is my first attempt in KDE 4.

I edited kdmrc as follows (see attachment):
- StaticServers in [General] to :0,:1
- ReserveServers in [General] to :2,:3,:4
- commented out ServersArgsLocal in [X-*-Core]
- added ServerArgsLocal=-br -nolisten tcp -layout seat0 to [X-:0-Core]
- created a [X-:1-Core] and [X-:1-Core] with a similiar ServerArgsLocal

seat0 and seat1 correspond to ServerLayout section in an xorg.conf (see
attachment), which has done the job for years.

Now, when booting, I get the KDM login screen on my tv, but my monitor
remains a blank screen or shows some garbled graphics resembling the splash
screen (note: I disabled the splash in Grub). Switching through VTs 7 to 9
doesn't show a KDM screen either.

Both Xorg.0.log and Xorg.1.log show the two X servers have started
succesfully, so apparently something goes wrong at the very last minute.

I don't have the faintest clue what to do next, so any help would be
appreciated.