Fixes was 4: the good, the bad and the broken

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Fri Apr 30 04:28:09 BST 2010

Nikos Chantziaras posted on Thu, 29 Apr 2010 19:45:21 +0300 as excerpted:

> On 04/29/2010 07:10 PM, Duncan wrote:
>> [...] there's no reason why Linux can't stabily handle qt3/kde3,
>> qt4/kde4, gtk1, gtk2/ gnome2, and openoffice apps, all at the same
>> time, given a reasonable amount of memory and swap.  Loading all those
>> toolkits WILL take additional memory, much of which can be swapped out
>> over an uptime of weeks, but there's no reason it can't be done and be
>> stable doing it.
>
> The memory footprint of loading all those different libraries is rather
> minimal.  We're talking about 100MB maximum.  It's not even worth
> thinking about it these days.  It's definitely not enough to make
> swapping kick-in; even the cheapest, ugliest, most low-end desktop
> machines and laptops/netbooks you can now buy have at least two orders
> of magnitude more RAM than that.  At least *I* never saw a machine with
> less than 2GB RAM for sale since years now.

You never looked at the netbooks very hard, then.  Before most of them
went MSWormOS (at least here in the US), standard memory was half a gig,
with an 8 gig (some as low as 2 gig) SSD flash drive for storage, so you
didn't really want to swap too heavily either, as that's using up the SSD
write cycles!

I got one of the generation 1.5 models, one of the first Acer Aspire Ones,
when MSWormOS was coming on some of them but not most of them, yet, and
they still had the decent Linux supported graphics.  It started with half
a gig memory hard-soldered onto the board, but had an expansion slot
that'd take a gig, so I maxed it out at 1.5 gig.  I was also careful to
get a model with SATA support, so I could switch out the drive with a
standard SATA notebook drive if I wanted, and it came with a 120 gig
conventional SATA, which was actually what I wanted as well, as I got it
in part as a portable video and MP3 player, and I wasn't going to mess
with anything under 100 gig, period.

I had to order it from Canada as no outlet I could find in the US was
selling the Linux versions, and I don't do MSWormOS.  I'd have sooner gone
without than bought an MSWormOS machine.  Even still, I upgraded it too
Gentoo, compiling the netbook image on a 32-bit chroot on my amd64
machine.  1.5 gig is good as I don't run into swap much if at all, even
with the kernel set to 100 swappiness, and I have a decent amount of
memory available to use as cache.  When I'm untethered, I run laptop mode,
and the extra cache keeps me from having to spin up the disk so much.

I don't know what the newer MSWormOS 7 slaveryware, Poulsbo no-proper-
freedomware-driver models run, memory-wise.  I'm glad I got mine while the
getting was good!