issue details was KDE 4: the good, the bad and the broken

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 29 13:09:20 BST 2010

On Thursday 29 April 2010 12:42:49 Draciron Smith wrote:
> Opening this as a separate topic so as to not hijack the thread.
>
> On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 4:14 AM, Anne Wilson <cannewilson at googlemail.com>
wrote:

> >> I will add Kedit to the list.
> >
> > ?? KWrite is the re-write of Kedit.
>
> Huh? Kwrite I think predates Kedit. I remember Kwrite from KDE 0.x

I couldn't say whether there has even been a prior version of KWrite.
However, KWrite is the 'light edition' and Kate the fully featured one.

> > This I can't understand.  You can drag shortcuts from the menu to the
> > desktop, although I think that works better in Lancelot than Kickoff.
> >  Personally I think it's easier to use the right-click on a menu entry
> > and 'Add to Desktop' - that's in Kickoff, of course.
>
> Yeah but there's no places there. For example user has network
> connection mapped to another machine or a specific folder they want to
> link too.

No places where?  Sorry I don't understand what you mean.  As for how to
connect to another machine, I have my connections mounted in fstab, then I
have a small (scrollable) folderview to those connections.  In Dolphin, for
quick file management, I have the same connections in the Places section.

> > If you use the core repos only you should have had no problems, other
> > than those caused by major upstream events, such as the recent
> > soprano/virtuoso update.  Such things feel major, but they are rare.
>
> Yup using core repos. I've only added a few repos. Long ago learned a
> hard lesson abut having too many repos added.
>
> > Version numbers are significant to this question.  As you say, FF had a
> > bad memory leak at one point.  X had a really bad one recently.  Neither
> > of those can be blamed on KDE, although they have a major impact for
> > users.
>
> Mentioned the KDE version. Might be the X leak was aggravating things.
>
> X.Org X Server 1.7.6
> Release Date: 2010-03-17
> X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
> Build Operating System: x86-02 2.6.18-164.6.1.el5
> Current Operating System: Linux localhost.localdomain
> 2.6.32.11-99.fc12.i686 #1 SMP Mon Apr 5 16:32:08 EDT 2010 i686

OK - that's the version my F12 laptop has too, and the memory leak is no
longer present.

> > There is a great deal of work being done on sound.  I understand that
> > over the coming months many of the current problems will be resolved, as
> > improvements currently in testing are released for general consumption.
>
> Coolness. Sound is one of KDE's bigger weaknesses right now.

> >> I think that's back in KDE 4.5.
> >
> > If you use Activities tied to desktops it's been back since 4.3, IIRC.
>
> Hmm I'll have to actually read the documentation on that unless 4.5 is
> coming out soon.
>
> > I've not seen the problem in Fedora.  Again, it might help if versions
> > were mentioned.
>
> Did mention FC 12. Ironically the bugreporting tool itself seg faulted
> while I was doing screen caps of some of the issues LOL. First time
> I've ever seen the crash reporter reporting a crash of itself. I
> should have grabbed a screenshot of it.   Sometimes it just goes away
> other times it tells me my information isn't useful because I don't
> have libs installed but I've installed those libs. When the link
> failed I added the debug repository and installed half of it. If there
> is some specific lib necessary for all bug reports I'm missing it
> apparently.

The number of packages to be downloaded is something of an issue.  My old
laptop was running out of space, and I kept having to delete debug packages to
make more space for the next lot.  Having said that, though, abrt did always
work for me, so I don't know what your issue is.

> > One thing needs to be remembered.  It's human nature to want our personal
> > preferences and problems to be fixed immediately, but if insufficient
> > time is taken to test on volunteer systems (which after all is what the
> > kde-fedora repos are about) there are screams of anguish because
> > something is not working correctly.  The distros are on a lose-lose
> > situation here.
>
> I understand that. I'm not jumping up and down and saying fix it now
> or anything like that.

I was speaking generalities, not your specific issues :-)  Sorry if it sounded
like that.

> If it didn't involve C++ coding I'd probably
> jump in and help code. I gave up C/C++ in 96 and don't miss it one
> bit.

I don't think it has to involve C++.  There is a plan to run a klassroom on
forum.kde.org to help people interested in getting started.  The whole point
of this initiative is that some developers feel that potential contributors
are being put off unnecessarily, and could be helped to start.  If you're
interested I'll post here when the course is ready to run.  The format usually
is that the klassroom runs over a specific time - often a week or a weekend,
and you join in as and when you can.  Let me know if you're interested (or
anyone else, for that matter).

Anne
--
KDE Community Working Group