KDE 4: the good, the bad and the broken

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Thu Apr 29 09:44:48 BST 2010

>> Please file bugs with your distros. Feel free to email to me the bug
>> numbers in private mail (in a new thread, not a reply here) so that I
>> can triage them.
>
> Can't :( The bug reporting tool is broken LOL.  Generally if I just
> put up with it for a few weeks and update fixes it but breaks other
> stuff.  I've got a Fedora Bugzilla account, should I report it there
> manually or is there a different bugzilla acount, I think I had or
> still have a KDE bugzilla account.

Fedora and *buntu have online bug reporting tools. The *buntu one is
hard to find without going through literally three pages of docs, here
it is:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+filebug/?no-redirect

Debian might be a problem, I know.

>> Which distro? Which apps? I have not had this issue with KDE, though
>> Firefox has a huge memory leak.
>
> Fedora 12  KDE 4.4.1  Downloading an update right now that moves me to 4.4.2
> Firefox is probably the top culprit since I have MANY Firefox windows
> open for weeks at a time.  Sadly they had the mem leak mostly fixed in
> 3.5.x but 3.6.x is almost as bad as 2.x was with the mem leaks :(  I'm
> not certain which apps but Kwrite I am very suspcious of having a Mem
> leak., The various Kwrite windows I have open are using a combined 15
> megs of ram over 6 windows most of which contain maybe a paragraph or
> two. When I get about 20 open it does evil things to my memory. One of
> the reasons I miss Kedit so much. Pulse audio appears to have one also
> as it takes way more mem than a sound server should after it's been
> running for a few weeks. Right now a few days after launching it's
> already up to .3 megs. The Plasma desktop seems to be another. Right
> now it's using up 13 megs of ram which seems high to me. I'll watch
> and see if it grows any over the next day or two. Kwin is another I'm
> suspicious of. It's right now one of my top 10 in mem usage at 4.6
> megs but I havn't closed anything or opened any new windows in last
> hour or so.

It looks to me that you are using Qt4 apps (KDE 4), Qt3 apps (Kwrite)
and GTK apps (Firefox). That will be difficult on your system, no
doubt. I hope that you don't open an OpenOffice window with all that
going on!

> There are a couple non-KDE apps I'm also suspicious of, Evolution is
> one of them. Keep meaning to change my default mail client to Kmail as
> I hate Evolution and the army of child processes it spawns.
>

>> Again, this is a distro issue. Does PA or Jack work better under
>> Gnome? I honestly don't know too much about the sound systems, but I
>> did not realize they were so dependant on the desktop environment.
>
> Jack except on Fedora seems to work decently or at least works mostly
> with Gnome. On Fedora it's a real chore to get it to work under any
> desktop. No idea why Jack hates Fedora or vice versa. On Ubuntu Jack
> usually works in Gnome but rarely works or if it actually works will
> work for long under KDE. At least 3.x still need to upgrade my laptop
> to see. I might get 20 mins into an editing session and suddenly the
> sound goes out. At least Jack does. If a system bell or anything else
> makes a peep I can count on Jack going bye bye until I restart KDE. I
> can try installing Jack on this machine but it's Fedora so it'll
> probably not work.

Please file bugs at Ubuntu on this. I don't use of know Jack, so I
cannot help, but this list might help you:

Dotan Cohen

http://bido.com
http://what-is-what.com