KDE 4: the good, the bad and the broken

Frank Weng (a.k.a. Franklin) franklin at goodhorse.idv.tw
Thu Apr 29 01:50:56 BST 2010

在 2010 年 04 月 29 日 週四 02:43:19,Dotan Cohen 寫道:
> On 28 April 2010 03:25, Frank Weng (a.k.a. Franklin)
>
> <franklin at goodhorse.idv.tw> wrote:
> > Well, many users here complained to me about the menu layout in KDE4.
> >  But I have never felt it confusing.
>
> Please forward those complaints to me in private mail, I will try to
> get the issues fixed. Please state whether or not I can contact the
> complainers for clarification. Of course, of they are in Chinese then
> I'd appreciate a translation!

Well, in my opinion, they just didn't get used to new way (kickoff) for the
menu.  They think that it is quite annoying to go into many layers that way.
However I don't think it a big deal, and I like it!

Just one thing - it is a bit difficult to locate a certain software in the
menu.  I can use search to find a software with its name, but when I found it,
I can not know where it actually resides - in which menu and which submenu,
etc.

As for KDE-pim, I think what the most important thing now would be a complete
and easier-to-understand document about akonadi, how to make it startup
successfully, its daily use for all kinds of resources like addressbook and
birthday or calendars.  I know that there have been already some documents
about the frameworks of akonadi, but I still failed to find a document about
how to add resources successfully, and how to use it.

About the kaddressbook failing to add and some other issues, I'll start
another thread later.

Thanks,
Franklin