KDE 4: the good, the bad and the broken

Tassilo Horn tassilo at member.fsf.org
Wed Apr 28 07:59:54 BST 2010

On Tuesday 27 April 2010 11:07:19 Dotan Cohen wrote:

Hi Dotan,

> The Good
> Okular, Konqueror, Dolphin, Kate
> I need ideas about what is exceptionally good about Plasma. I like
> Krunner and Lancelot. Anything else?

The first releases of KDE4 drove me away from KDE4, but with 4.4 I'm
back again.  The most important reason is that the plasma desktop now
works quite good.  I have an intel graphics card with the free drivers,
and even the 3D effects are really fast and snappy.

Another good thing is that the handling of multiple outputs (monitors)
works quite good.  The only thing I'm really missing here is that KDE
doesn't remember the layouts for a set of outputs, so that it could
restore my last layout I configured for this set of outputs.

> The Bad
> Currently the Plasma menus are very confusing to my users, I plan on
> discussing this. Special attention will be given to menu depth and the
> Cashew. Also, some key features of KDE 3 are not yet available in KDE
> 4, and as applications get ported to KDE 4 and Akonadi they lose
> features as well. Accessibility is also a mess in KDE 4. What else is
> just bad about KDE 4?

I don't like the interface for the nepomuk search.  The krunner
interface as well as the search in dolphin show much too few information
about the results.  Why the heck doesn't it at least show the path of a
file?  Now my result has 7 foo.pdf files, and cause I don't see their
parent directory, I cannot see what's the right one.

And what the heck are "Paginated PDF Documents" that show up in my
results?

And why does the nepomuk store size constantly increase?  When I started
using KDE 4.4 about two months ago, after the first indexing of all my
files the index was at 800 MB.  Now it is 2.5 GB, for about the same
number of indexed files.  Every week, the index grows about 100 MB...

Hm, another think is that the whole nepomuk service processes take a lot
of CPU and IO time.  Especially the virtuoso-t database constantly
hammers my harddrive.  Using `ionice' I was able to come to grips with
it, at least mostly.

> The Broken
> I suffer many Kontact bugs, and some design ideas seem broken in their
> current implementation (activities, which will be addressed for KDE
> 4.5). What else is broken for you in KDE 4?

Yeah, I also suffer from at least 2 severe kontact/akonadi bugs.

1. Kontact frequently freezes after using the summary view (bug 226636).

2. Moving recurring events in korganizer garbles them (bug 172464).

3. When using an akonadi calendar resource, reminders don't work (bug
   223388).

Bye,
Tassilo