Unsatisfied kitchensync

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Tue Apr 20 12:32:41 BST 2010

John Phillips posted on Tue, 20 Apr 2010 16:56:32 +1000 as excerpted:

> Mandriva 2010.0. KDE 4.4.2
>
> Trying to install from the Meta Packages in Mandriva,
> task-blackberry-kde which is described as "KDE Meta  package for
> synchronising with a Blackberry".
>
> However I get this error message :-
>
> "Sorry, the following package cannot be selected:
>
> - task-blackberry-kde-1.0-2mdv2010.0.noarch (due to unsatisfied kdepim-
> kitchensync)"
>
> So, how do I satisfy the unsatisfied?  :-)
>
> PS Apologies if this should be asked on a Mandriva forum!

kitchensync is a kde3 app.  So it requires kdelibs for kde3, etc.  KDE
4.4.2 you have, but that's not kde3.  Does Mandriva provide kde3, even
kdelibs3, any more?

Tip:  Back when I was on (then) Mandrake (I've been on Gentoo since 2004),
I used to use rpmfind.net to check on such things and download the rpms,
if I couldn't find them in my normal repository/mirrors.

I just now used rpmfind.net to confirm that the task-blackberry-kde
package indeed exists in that version, that it indeed requires kdepim-
kitchensync, and that kitchensync is still a kde3 package (from the
kdepim-3.5.10 src.rpm, mdv2009.0).

So apparently rpmfind still exists and works, and according to it, the
package does still exist, but it's kde3 not kde4, and at least some of the
dependencies appear to be from 2009.0 (build date even earlier, August,
2008).  What sorts of conflicts you may have trying to install it I'm not
sure, but there's a good chance you don't want kde3 on your system anyway.

What replaced it for kde4 I don't know, as I don't have a mobe to sync
with so don't have to worry about it, and don't have those bits of kdepim4
installed.

So there you have it.  You probably don't want task-blackbery-kde anyway,
as it seems to be a kde3 package, but I'd suggest rpmfind if you want to
pursue it.  As for a kde4 or alternative modern replacement, unless you
get lucky and someone with a blackberry and syncing setup for it replies
with more details here, I'd suggest taking it to the mandriva forums, or
possibly to the kde kdepim list.  But at least you have more info to work
with now than you did... and got the rpmfind hint, too! =:^)