about KDE 4.4 in ubuntu hardy

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Mon Apr 12 18:32:42 BST 2010

Wei-Dong Lian posted on Mon, 12 Apr 2010 10:26:10 +0200 as excerpted:

> I am a ubuntu hardy 8.04 user, because of unsupported graphics card in
> Ubuntu 9.10, I have to stay at Ubuntu 8.04. So does anyone has some
> suggestions to install kde 4.4 in ubuntu hardy. Any suggestion will be
> appreciated.

You may not find this suggestion practical, but...

You mention that ubuntu 9.10 doesn't support your graphics card very well,
so you're sticking with the older 8.04.

What you do NOT mention is whether you've tried other distributions,
Fedora, OpenSuSE, Mandriva, regular Debian (as you may know, Ubuntu is a
Debian derivative), Arch... you may not want to try what I use, Gentoo, if
you prefer installing binaries to compiling from source, but from-source
isn't after all /that/ bad on a half-decent machine.

That's especially the case since Ubuntu is Gnome based, and even the KDE
based Kubuntu isn't necessarily the best choice, for someone wanting a
good KDE experience.  For people with Ubuntu supported machines that are
all ready used to the way Ubuntu works, yeah, sticking with Ubuntu may be
a good option for them.  But now you have both problems, newer Ubuntu
doesn't support your hardware well, and Ubuntu or even Kubuntu isn't ideal
for a KDE user in the first place.  So really, the question does occur, if
newer Ubuntu's giving you problems, why not try a different distribution?
It's not that big a deal to switch, and a lot of folks with problem
hardware often find themselves switching between distributions a number of
times, as what they were using breaks on that hardware, at least out of
the box, but a different distribution happens to support it out of the box
quite well.

Which one?  Well...

Since Ubuntu is Debian based, you may wish to try them first, if you want
to stay with a reasonably familiar *.deb based system.  Fedora is a fast
moving but very popular distribution.  Many KDE devs use OpenSuSE, and
it's often considered /the/ distribution for KDE lovers.  Mandriva is
another strong KDE supporting distribution, the one I started with years
ago, when it was still Mandrake.  Arch Linux is a rolling distribution
that stays pretty close to upstream.  It's considered a good choice for
folks who like a bit more control, but don't want to compile /everything/
/all/ the time.  And then there's Gentoo, a rolling distribution, built
from source but with scripts that help automate the process, that gives
you more control over your own system than I believe any of the others
mentioned, one of the reasons I use it, as I /like/ that sort of
responsibility and control over my own systems! =:^)

So pick a couple that look interesting.  Google them, go to their home
sites and do a bit of research, then pick one up for a spin and try it
out. =:^)  If it doesn't work or you don't like it, try another.  Given
that Ubuntu 8.04 was working well on your system, I'm sure one or another
of the newer distributions will work well with it too. =:^)