klipper gone from panel - how can I re-add it?

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Wed Apr 7 10:26:47 BST 2010

Tomasz Chmielewski posted on Tue, 06 Apr 2010 17:29:58 +0200 as excerpted:

> I tried that already, but it doesn't change anything (the only
> difference is that my KDE4 keeps settings in .kde4).
>
> What's interesting, a newly created user account: - does show klipper,
> - exiting klipper, starting it from konsole makes it appear in tray
>

> I tried copying klippre config files from the new account (and changed
> file ownership), but it also doesn't bring anything.
>

> So I wonder what's screwed with my KDE4 settings that prevents klipper
> from showing up. And how to fix it without removing the whole .kde*
> directory.

Hmm...  Trying this (with klipper not running) in a konsole window...

strace -eopen -f klipper 2>&1 | grep $KDEHOME/share

... (where $KDEHOME is replaced with the obvious path for your user, /home/
user/.kde4 or whatever) gives me a reasonably short list of files.
Excluding dups and relative to $KDEHOME:

share/config/kdeglobals
share/config/klipperrc
share/config/oxygenrc
share/config/kdebugrc
apps/lkipper/history2.lst

Obviously, oxygenrc and kdebugrc aren't going to be relevant.  That
leaves, in addition to klipperrc which you already tested, kdeglobals and
history2.lst.  However, I doubt that they're what we're looking for,
either.

If I don't miss my guess, what we're looking for isn't going to be a
klipper config setting, but rather, a setting for plasma-desktop, or more
precisely, the system tray plasmoid.  Now, one could killall plasma-
desktop and do a similar strace there, but there's a lot more noise files
to filter out, so try this (as a single command, tho wrapped here):

strace -eopen -f plasma-desktop 2>&1 | grep "$KDEHOME/share" | grep -v
'kdeglobals\|kick\|holiday\|Recent\|oxygenrc'

That gives me a manageable list, here.  Ignoring the theme files,
kdebugrc, solid's actions, ktimezonedrc, etc, this is what remains that
might be remotely related:

share/config/plasma-desktoprc
share/config/plasmarc
share/apps/plasma-desktop/ (this one's a dir, doesn't exist here)
share/config/plasma-desktop-appletsrc
share/config/ksmserverrc

Taking a look at the contents of each of those... seems
plasma-desktop-appletsrc is the only one that looks to be of possible
value.

So, ensure you have a konsole or file manager of some sort running, then
killall plasma-desktop.  With plasma stopped, rename (or delete, if you
don't care about losing your plasmoid customizations) the
plasma-desktop-appletsrc file.  Just to be sure, you may want to copy the
entire share/config/ directory off to a backup somewhere, as well.
Restart plasma-desktop (from krunner or konsole or whatever).

If that works, you know the problem is in that file, as I suspect.
However, you probably don't want to have to recustomize everything.  So
let's just delete the systray config out of it, leaving everything else.
Again with plasma-desktop killed, copy your renamed plasma-desktop-
appletsrc back in place, still being sure to leave the renamed version as
a backup.

Now, edit plasma-desktop-appletsrc (using kwrite or whatever, launched
from konsole or krunner).  Search for "plugin=systemtray" (without the
quotes).  Look a few lines up to find the section name.  It should look
something like this:

[Containments][55][Applets][138]

The numbers will probably be different, but the key here is that now we
know that the systemtray is applet 138 of containment 55.  (FWIW, the
containment will be the panel or activity the systray is on.) Delete that
section and any others for that containment and applet, of which there
will probably be several (here, I count seven).

If you have multiple systray instances configured, perhaps on multiple
activities or panels, find and delete each one.

Save the changes, exit the editor and restart plasma-desktop.

If /that/ works, all applets /other/ than the systrays should be fine,
while the systrays will either be deleted entirely, or will be running in
their default config, I'm not sure which.

If they're deleted entirely, you can add a systray plasmoid back where
desired.  Unlock widgets (if they're locked), add widgets, find the system
tray widget/plasmoid, drag it to the desired location.

If it doesn't work, you can quit plasma-desktop again, restore your
backup, restart plasma-desktop, and you should be back in business,
without a solution to the problem, but none-the-worse for the experiment,
either.