Problem with multi-window applications with Desktop effect disabled

Sullivan Beck sullybeck at gmail.com
Mon Apr 5 15:20:08 BST 2010

I'm experiencing a minor (to severe) inconveniance in KDE. If I have an
application with two windows open, and I right click in the title bar of
one of them to bring up the KDE menu (the one with the options "To
Desktop", "Move", "Resize", etc.), the popup menu is sort-of mirrored in
the second window. What happens, is that a space the same size/shape as
the menu opens up on the second window which doesn't contain anything
except that it is transparent allowing me to see what's behind the window.

I've taken three pictures which illustrate the problem. The first shows
two konsole windows (the one on the right was created from the one on
the left with the "File->New Window" command). The second picture shows
what happens when I right-click on the title bar. The third shows what's
left behind once I release the mouse to the menu goes away.

   http://heather.osg.ufl.edu/Screenshot-1.png
   http://heather.osg.ufl.edu/Screenshot-2.png
   http://heather.osg.ufl.edu/Screenshot-3.png

This behavior also occurs in other, less predictable situations, but the
situation above is the most severe, and also the most repeatable, and I
suspect if it is fixed, other cases would be too.

The source of the problem is that in the "Configure Desktop -> Desktop
-> Desktop Effects", I have disabled all desktop effects. If I enable
them, then this doesn't happen. In case it's important, the problem
occurs in both "Desktop Activity" and "Folder Activity" mode.

Environment:
   OpenSuSE 11.2 (64-bit)
   KDE 4.4.2 (from the KDE4 Factory repository)