Logout does not work

Dennis Neumeier dennismail at gmx.net
Fri Apr 2 10:51:48 BST 2010

Hi,

> Note that I always login at the command line interface (CLI), then start
> kde using startx, and return to it when I'm done, as I don't have kdm or
> other graphical login setup -- that's the way I prefer it.  Thus, I don't
> know the details of how the *dms work.  However...

Well, if you like this that way, okay - that is a solution, but you cannot
really give this to "normal" users who didn't see a tty up to now. So Logon
manager is necessary here.

> In kcontrol (which has been renamed system settings, altho it's generally
> kde controls not system settings), advanced user settings, session
> manager, you can control whether shutdown options are offered and the
> default leave option.  I suspect you may have that set incorrectly.

Wait, you did misunderstand something: The problem is not that I cannot
shutdown/reboot/logout - I have these options and they are working except for
the logout. Here is what's happening:

User clicks on "logout" -> user is logged out -> I am taken back to tty

So somehow, the logon screen is not restarted. The question is: How is this
done? By restarting the xserver or by other means?

Regards,
Michael