Character sets / encoding

Peter Lewis lewisp at avex.co.uk
Tue Sep 15 15:51:04 BST 2009

On Sunday 06 Sep 2009 Anne Wilson sent:

> In KMail I have problems with accented characters, resulting in this like
> L�ck.  I assume this is a problem of character encoding.  There doesn't
> seem to be anywhere in systemsettings that I can check and possibly alter
> that. Any suggestions?

Thought that I should re-introduce this thread.
I have received a mail with a subject line that contains the following
characters (hex values):
 6F 73 E9 3A 20 73 61 76 65 20 75 70 20 74 6F 20 A3 32 35 20

This is intended to be (hope it comes across correctly):
"osé: save up to £25 "

What kmail displays on the subject line is:
"...osى: save up to �25 ..."

In the body of the email the same characters, vis. 0xe9 and 0xa3, are
correctly displayed. In this case the code that displays the body of the text
handles character sets correctly but the code that displays the subject line
does not.

As I am using kmail 1.10.3 as distributed with openSuSE 11.1, this may be
history by now but I thought that it might make a good addendum to your
thread.

--
Kind regards,
Peter Lewis