SSL/TLS-configuration in KDE 4.3

John john_82 at tiscali.co.uk
Fri Sep 4 22:56:02 BST 2009

On Friday 04 September 2009 13:53:24 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> In <200909041312.26461.john_82 at tiscali.co.uk>, John wrote:
> >Dare I mention how it's impossible to add to the address book once kwallet
> > has been activated without editing files.
>
> That doesn't make sense to me.  I just KWallet for all my passwords for KDE
> 3.5 and KDE 4.2 and I have no problem editing and adding to my address book
> when it is open.
>
> > I'm also
> > concerned about the fact that there is clearly a back door into the
> > system.
>
> Details?
I'm running kde 3.5.7 release 92.9 and kmail 1.9.6 enterprise suse 64bit
 Say I right click an email address in from and select add to address book I
get

The address book '/home/john/.kde/share/apps............' is locked by
application ''.
If you believe this is incorrect, just remove the lock file
from '/home/john...................

If I open the address book and select and entry and delete it I get the same
message and the deleted entry disappears. If I close the address book and
open it again it's there again. This also leaves me wondering why an
application can read the files without having obtained a password but maybe
the kmail start up password explains this.

The backdoor goes back to a spooky experience on here. I asked how to recover
email passwords from kmail. I had lost my hard copy of them. The thread
eventually suggested that I should really use kwallet to protect the password
files and my address book as they are not secure. Next thing my address book
and email password files had gone. This is too spooky to be a coincidence.
The install is as per suse and I haven't activated anything that could allow
this to happen. Also checked for root kits etc. On top of this I have
wondered if Kevin posts via a proxy to protect himself - just on the basis of
a question he asked some time ago. One thing for sure my email files
disappeared at an extra ordinarily appropriate time to leave me feeling a
more than a little paranoid on this subject.  I have also gone through rites
and sharing etc. No clue there either. My set up also flies through all of
the grc.com checks. Pity there isn't a site that aims the checks specifically
at a linux machine.

These days I take steps to ensure that back tracing my emails to the list are
highly unlikely to lead to my machine but the mechanism some one used must
still be there.

John