Ripping CDs

James Tyrer jrtyrer at earthlink.net
Sat Oct 31 22:55:23 GMT 2009

Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Saturday 31 October 2009 02:43:43 James Tyrer wrote:
>>> I've never tried this feature, because I personally have no need for it,
>>> but I  just tried it for kicks.  Here is what happened:
>>> 1. My "Device Notifier" plasmoid popped up and gave me three options of
>>> what to  do with the disc that I had just inserted.  I chose to "Do
>>> nothing"
>
> Actually, if you ignore the device notifier, the result is the same ;-)
>
>>> 2. I then opened up Dolphin and looked at Dolphin's "Places"  I
>>> clicked on the one that said "Volume"
>>> 3. I then chose a random track, right clicked and chose "Copy To" my
>>> home  directory.  It worked perfectly.  It appears that you can even just
>>> drag and drop the desired file/files.  Very Cool!
>>>
>>> Just for kicks I'm going to try copying the other format choices that I
>>> am given  as well...  The results were perfect...
>>>
>>> So, at least for me, it "Just Works..."  Here is a screenshot of what
>>> Dolphin  looked like when I clicked on "Volume":
>>> http://www.afolkey2.net/~steve/Fedora11-ScreenShot-001.jpg
>>>
>>> Again, on my end, this just works perfectly :)
>>>
>> "just works" in not a good thing unless the configuration is totally
>> documented.
>>
>> Perhaps this is simple.  What is the URL for "Volume"?
>>
> James, this is about ripping in Dolphin.  The Volume icon appears in your
> Places list, and has an audioCD icon together with the name.  Remember that in
> Dolphin, if you click just to the right of the breadcrumb trail you see the
> url - in this case it is audiocd:/, which I assume is a hal-controlled
> mounting.
>
> It's so simple and intuitive, that once you've read about its existence, as in
> the userbase article, it really doesn't need any more documentation.

You just don't get it!  But, yet you continue to offer advice from the
PC (Politically Correct) La La Land.

When you need more documentation is when something doesn't work!

Unfortunately, KDE is becoming like MS-Windows.  It is supposed to just
work, but when it doesn't even their product support staff can't seem to
figure out why.  Perhaps this isn't that bad yet, but as Duncan pointed
out, this is probably dependent on HAL configuration and that that is
very difficult although there is some documentation.

In KDE-3 the KIOslave for Audio CDs didn't require anything, you just
opened it and it worked.  Now we have something that is supposedly
simpler since you don't have to enter a URL or open "System" you just
click on the icon that has appeared in the Places list.  But what do you
do when it doesn't appear.  Certainly your condescending diatribe isn't
going to fix the problem.

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch