Ripping CDs

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Sat Oct 31 07:57:39 GMT 2009

James Tyrer posted on Fri, 30 Oct 2009 19:43:43 -0700 as excerpted:

>> File_Management#Encode_and_copy_audio_CD_tracks<http://
userbase.kde.org/Tutorials/%
0AFile_Management#Encode_and_copy_audio_CD_tracks>

>>> Well last time I tried it (that is last week, I showed it to a
>>> friend), the CD was auto-mounted as "Volume" (it appeared in the
>>> "Places" of Dolphin) But now when I insert a CD, it's recognized as a
>>> plugged device, and I get a "Volume" in Dolphin "places", but nothing
>>> shows up when I click on it... I wonder what could have changed in the
>>> same time.
>>
>> I've never tried this feature, because I personally have no need for
>> it, but I just tried it for kicks.  Here is what happened: 1. My
>> "Device Notifier" plasmoid popped up and gave me three options of what
>> to do with the disc that I had just inserted.  I chose to "Do nothing"
>> 2. I then opened up Dolphin and looked at Dolphin's "Places"  I clicked
>> on the one that said "Volume"
>> 3. I then chose a random track, right clicked and chose "Copy To" my
>> home directory.  It worked perfectly.  It appears that you can even
>> just drag and drop the desired file/files.  Very Cool!
>>
>> Just for kicks I'm going to try copying the other format choices that I
>> am given as well...  The results were perfect...
>>
>> So, at least for me, it "Just Works..."  Here is a screenshot of what
>> Dolphin looked like when I clicked on "Volume":
>> http://www.afolkey2.net/~steve/Fedora11-ScreenShot-001.jpg
>>
>> Again, on my end, this just works perfectly :)
>>
> "just works" in not a good thing unless the configuration is totally
> documented.
>
> Perhaps this is simple.  What is the URL for "Volume"?

It *IS* the kioslave (I was calling it ioslave earlier, it's kde i/o-
slave, kioslave for sort, IIRC)!

The device shows up, but nothing extra is actually mounted.  I apparently
don't have whatever kde package includes that full ioslave here, as it
doesn't actually have any "subdirs" or files, but "volume" does indeed
show up in dolphin, and clicking on it loads it as "audiocd:" or
"audiocd:/", which would be that ioslave.

I was almost sure that ioslave had been ported to kde4, but I hadn't seen
it in action in dolphin or konqueror, so I wasn't sure.  But between the
upthread and the incomplete version I just saw here, that's gotta be what
it is, and yes, it's just as I said, and ioslave "virtual" filesystem,
not actually mounted anywhere and apparently not available outside of
anything that knows about and can use kde's kioslaves.

Given that, it's likely that a command can be made for dolphin to open at
the audiocd:/ kioslave location, and that command loaded as an action
option in the device notifier popup window.  It just doesn't have one by
default.