Konsole in English

Ryo Furue furue at hawaii.edu
Wed Oct 28 01:36:27 GMT 2009

Hi Kevin,

| > Fedora 10 "/etc/skel/.bash_profile" (the default):
| >
| > ------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------
| >
| > # .bash_profile
| >
| > # Get the aliases and functions
| > if [ -f ~/.bashrc ]; then
| > 	. ~/.bashrc
| > fi

[. . .]

| Unfortunately this seems to be very common across distributions.

I object to "unfortunately"! :-)  Consider this:

  1) Most users want .bashrc to be read for every bash instance.
  2) .bash_profiles is intended to be read only by login shells.

Now the problem is that .bashrc isn't read by a login shell!
(See the manpage.)  Therefore, it's "natural" to have

  if [ -f ~/.bashrc ]; then   # --- (A)
     . ~/.bashrc
  fi

in your .bash_profile because a login shell is a shell, too
(See item 1 above).

Without this provision, you would have to copy the contents
of .bashrc to .bash_profile to get the same settings
in a login shell.

For this reason, I've had (A) since when I switched from tcsh
to bash more than ten years ago(*).

Regards,
Ryo