Konsole in English

Ryo Furue furue at hawaii.edu
Wed Oct 28 01:03:45 GMT 2009

Hi James,

| You appear to have snipped out:
|
| "Second, if you do so (either way), it will affect the whole KDE session
| for that user."

I don't understand why so.  You can change your own .bash_profile and
.bashrc  and you can have your own konsole.desktop in
~/.local/share/applications/ .  I thought we were talking about
per-user settings.

| That is why it won't work (or might not work).

Sorry I don't understand what "it" is.  What is not working?

| If you read the 'Fine Man Page',
|
| "When bash is invoked as an interactive login shell, or as a
| non-interactive shell with the --login option, it first reads and
| executes commands from the file /etc/profile, if that file exists. After
| reading that file, it looks for ~/.bash_profile, ~/.bash_login, and
| ~/.profile, in that order, and reads and executes commands from the
| first one that exists and is readable."
|
| "When an interactive shell that is not a login shell is started, bash
| reads and executes commands from ~/.bashrc, if that file exists."
|
| You would think that it should work.  However, it is also common
| practice for ".bash_profile" to change that.

Again, I'm afraid I fail to see what's the problem here.
What does "it" refer to in your "You would think that it should work"?

I know all those things you have quoted from the manual.

| # .bash_profile
|
| # Get the aliases and functions
| if [ -f ~/.bashrc ]; then
| 	. ~/.bashrc
| fi

My ~/.bash_profile does have that clause.

So, in our situation, we want

   <OUR GOAL>
   .bashrc        --- LANG=C
   .bash_profile  --- LANG=your_native_language

Correct?

Then, our ~/.bashrc would read

   LANG=C; export LANG

and our ~/.bash_profile would read

   if [ -f ~/.bashrc ]; then
 	. ~/.bashrc
   fi

   # override what's in .bashrc
   LANG=your_native_language; export LANG

Then, OUR GOAL is achieved.  Or am I missing something?

By the way, I've found that most login managers don't source
.bash_profile .  In that case, you have to use your desktop's
(KDE's) autostart feature to load it.  For fortunately,
KDM (KDE's login manager) reads your .bash_profile, at least
on the distro I use (Debian GUN/Linux).

| Fedora 10 "/etc/skel/.bash_profile" (the default):
|
| ------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------
|
| # .bash_profile
|
| # Get the aliases and functions
| if [ -f ~/.bashrc ]; then
| 	. ~/.bashrc
| fi
|
| # User specific environment and startup programs
|
| PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin
|
| export PATH
|
| ------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------
|
| It is this that would make it not work.  Now it is possible that your
| distro doesn't have the code that sources ".bashrc" from
| ".bash_profile", but I don't like to suggest that people should make
| such changes to their distros.  The script will work for everyone, and
| it is really the better way to do it since changing environment
| variables in ".bashrc" can cause problems whether or not your distro
| does this.

I'm not sure if I understand what you say correctly, but I don't see
why you need a system wide change.  As the manual you quoted say,
your ~/.bash_profile is read after the system wide .bash_profile
is sourced.  So, you have only to make changes to your own
.bash_profile.

| it is really the better way to do it since changing environment
| variables in ".bashrc" can cause problems whether or not your distro
| does this.

"can cause problems"--- What kind of problems do you have in mind?
I've had "export LANG=C" in my ~/.bashrc for years, without having
any problems at all.

Regards,
Ryo